Monday 1 October 2012

The Prototype: Jane Austen Pirates

 So Friday was the dreaded presentation day, the day all the groups would present their Jane Austen and Pirate prototype (which I talked about in some earlier posts located here and here) and everyone was dressed to impress (well not everyone, some people didn't dress up). Now I'm sure some people where finishing up some last minute things or dealing with issues (My group had to reprint some of our cards because of issues we ran into in the morning and I had to rewrite my blog since it some how was erased when I tried to post it, I don't really want to get into what happened since it was so aggravating) but the presentations started without delay.

Tassos, James, Brandon, Chris and Justin presenting their game

Now I figured that since the most well known Jane Austen book was Pride and Prejudice most people would choose that novel to use for the prototype but I was seriously surprised to see how many groups choose it (Seriously I think only 5 or 6 groups did something different). Some of the presentations were okay to listen to (meaning they were slightly interesting) while others were just down right boring (I noticed a few people falling asleep during some presentations). After so many presentations about Pride and Prejudice mixed with a dash of pirates, I was thrilled to see groups use Emma, [insert book title] and Sense and Sensibility (Well not so much the last one since my group did that one and we were kind of hoping to be the only ones).

Jesse, Brett, Wes, Gianluca and John presenting their game

For our presentation we were 13th to present and it was so nerve wrecking (I actually wanted to curl in a ball and hide somewhere. I hate presenting, I can talk and participate in class just fine but put me in front of a room and tell me I have to teach them something it's all over for me). When it was my turn to talk (I had to explain the basic plot of the book since I knew it the best [I read the book, watched the movie and the tv series] and how we incorporated pirates in our game) I thought I was going to die from lack of oxygen. I basically didn't breath the entire time I was talking and I think I rambled a bit (I start rambling when I get nervous). Fortunately I had to only speak for about 2 minutes, and was quickly relieved by Zee.

Personally I think my group did pretty well considering my rambling and Keerthana's nerves (We both hate public speaking) and we had a few funny moments throughout our presentation; From our introduction (Poor Clement, We introduced ourselves as the Girls + 1 and pointed to him when we said plus one. Everyone had quite a good chuckle) to our conclusion (Where our Professor asked Clement if he had read the book, which Clement had responded that he read the spark notes. Now that was funny! It was ok though because us girls who read the book explained it to him so he knew what we were talking about). All in all the presentations weren't bad, a little boring but not bad, my goal for our next prototype is to present better in front of my class (which shouldn't be too hard since they are all probably gaming or not paying attention anyways).

No comments:

Post a Comment